Call for admission of graduates in the Bioinformatics Postgraduate Program of the Medical School of the University of Crete in collaboration with FORTH for the academic year 2020-2021
The Medical School of the University of Crete, in collaboration with the Foundation for Research and Technology (FORTH), invite applications for the jointly organized Postgraduate Program in "Bionformatics" for the Academic Year 2020-2021.
The main scope of the Program is to provide a high level postgraduate education in Bioinformatics. Primary objectives of the Program is to form scientists with a high level of training in the field of Bioinformatics.
More specifically, the Program aims at a) providing students with an adequate set of computational skills and experience that will enable them to pursue a career in the industry as Bioinformatics experts or b) preparing the next generation of bioinformatics scientists that will engage in original research with the goal of obtaining a PhD degree.
Duration of the Program
The duration of the Program is four (4) academic semesters. Classes and Assignments are given in Greek and/or English in case of non greek-speaking audience.
Graduates of the following Departments/Disciplines are strongly encouraged to apply:
(a) Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing and related Health Science Disciplines.
(b) Biology, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and Related Physical Science Disciplines.
(c) Computer Science, Informatics and Engineering Departments or related disciplines.
(d) Technical School (TEI) Graduates from Departments related to Health and Informatics.
Under-graduate students expected to have completed their studies prior to joining the Program are also strongly encouraged to apply.
The number of admissions is set at a maximum of twenty (20) students per year.
The selection of applicants will be based on the following criteria:
1) Average Grade of Bachelor’s degree
2) Average Grades in undergraduate courses related to the Program
3) topic and performance of Diploma thesis at undergraduate level (if applicable)
4) Research and/or professional record of the candidate as supported by original publications, participation in conferences, patents etc
5) Letters of recommendation
6) Sufficient knowledge of the English language (at least at B2 level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Foreign Languages)
7) Personal interview
8) Letter of intent
9) General qualifications as evidenced by the applicant’s CV
Personal interviews held with the Program’s committee are intended to ascertain the level at which the qualifications referred to in the supporting documents and letters of intent, correspond to the candidate's general training and skills.
Fees and Scholarships
The Program does not require tuition fees or fees of any other kind. Applicants are encouraged to apply for funding for their postgraduate studies via Scholarship Programs either from the Medical School of the University of Crete or from various Institutes and Foundations in Greece or abroad.
Application and Supporting Documents
Application forms and all supporting documents are submitted electronically via the https://postgrad.cict.uoc.gr website in which the applicants must create a user account, process their application, upload their supporting documents and submit before the deadline.
Applicants are invited to first create a user account at: https://postgrad.cict.uoc.gr
After which they will be asked to upload the following certificates or files
1. For graduates of Greek Universities:
1.1. Copy of Diploma and Diploma
1.2. Transcript of University Records (Detailed Grading of Completed Courses)
2. Graduates of foreign Universities are additionally required to submit a certificate of equivalence and/or correspondence of their degree by ΔΟΑΑΤΑΠ. Alternatively a copy of the application filed to ΔΟΑΑΤΑΠ. (Notice that equivalence or correspondence must have been awarded before the completion of studies).
3. Under-graduate students anticipating graduation:
3.1 Must submit a Detailed Transcript of Records for the completed courses
4. Certificate of English (B2 level). Alternatively a degree from an English-speaking Department or an English-speaking curriculum
5. Evidence of professional or research activity (professional certifications, awards, scholarships of excellence, etc.)
6. List of publications and/or conferences participations, if any (see instructions in the PUBLICATIONS file accompanying this call)
7. Letter of intent (1 page) in which the applicants are invited to summarize the reasons for choosing the specific postgraduate program.
8. Two (2) letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the secretariat (see below) by the referees and not by the candidates.
9. One recent photograph
Scanned certificates and archives are only accepted as pdf file attachments.
Maximum file size of each file = 2MB.
Total maximum file size allowed = 20MB.
Photos can be attached as .png or .jpeg files
Maximum Size: 2MB
Dimensions: 200px x 200px
Letters of recommendation must be sent by e-mail and the following conditions must be met. Sending your e-mail should:
2. Letters must be sent bbefore the deadline for the submission of applications
3. Letters must be sent from an institutional address that testifies the referee's affiliation
4. Letters must include the complete contact details of the author
Deadline for the Submission of Applications
Submission of the application and supporting documents up to 20/5/2020.
The Director of the Graduate Program
Professor Nektarios Tavernarakis
The Dean of the
Professor George M. Kontakis