Call for admission to the Graduate Program
The Faculty of Medicine in collaboration with the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH) offers a Graduate Program in “Bioinformatics”. With regard to the Academic Year 2018-2019, courses will start in the Fall 2018. The program leads to the award of a Master's of Science degree (M.Sc.) in "Bioinformatics" after the successful completion of four (4) academic semesters. The MSc in Bioinformatics aims at a highly competitive, interdisciplinary and international audience. Lectures and practical classes will be taught in English by professors of the University of Crete Faculties of Medicine, Biology, Computer Science and Mathematics as well as by experienced researchers from FORTH (Crete). The programme is full-time and attendance is mandatory.
The Program is admitting every academic year a maximum number of 20 students. Eligible applicants should hold an MD or BSc degree of various disciplines including: a) Biomedical Sciences (Biology, Biochemistry, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacology etc), b) Natural Sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Material Science),c) Mathematics and Computer Science, d) Engineers.
The selection of applicants is based on the following criteria:
1) The overall grade of the University Degree,
2) The grades in undergraduate courses relevant to the Programme's scope,
3) The relevance of undergraduate thesis project(s) (if applicable),
4) Relevant research activity of the candidate,
5) The assessment of the letters of recommendation,
6) Documentation of sufficient knowledge of English,
7) Prizes and scholarships awarded to the applicant by the time of application,
8) Interview performance
The interviews will take place in the Medical School of the University of Crete on September 3rd, 2018. The exact hour and place will be announced at a later date.
• Application Form
• A letter of intent
• A recent detailed CV
• Certified copy of the BSc or MD degree
Applicants that hold a BSc or MD degree from a non-Greek University should also submit a certificate of equivalence and/or correspondence of these degrees from the National Academic Recognition Information Center (NARIC ΔΟΑΤΑΠ) of Greece upon registration.
• Transcript of Records
• Certificate of the English language (B2 level)
• One photo (+ passport or id photocopy upon registration)
• 2 letters of recommendation
• Any additional document in support of the Application
Application forms and all other relative documents can be downloaded at the following website address:
Submission deadline 20 August 2018.
For any additional information please visit the website
The Director of the Graduate Program
Professor Nektarios Tavernarakis
The Dean of the
Professor George M. Kontakis